Thursday, June 26, 2014

When can dry crust be good?

When I awoke this morning at 4:45 I couldn’t get back to sleep. The first thing my brain immediately went to thinking on was also the last thing it thought on before I fell asleep last night. I was urged to get up, reach for my Bible & pray for something I felt slipping from me....peace...It was my ‘word’ last year. I thought I had moved on better than this but perhaps I just needed a refresher.  I knew I would not be disappointed as I opened my old friend and two scriptures immediately jumped out at me! Proverbs 14:30 and 17:1
  In my NLT the first one read “A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body, jealousy is like cancer in the bones” and the second from NIV, “Better a dry crust with peace & quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife.”
  I was excited to see what would be revealed to me next as I opened up my handy-dandy parallel Bible ! I read through the four translations studying the concepts & ‘feel’ of the different wordage. I was struck by what the Message Bible conveyed...14:30 “A sound mind makes for a robust body but runaway emotions corrodes the bones” and 17:1 A meal of bread & water in contented peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.
  This flooded my brain with images...ours is a country of all-you-can-eat salad bars. But is that really to our benefit & to our best health? What do we usually do when enticed by them?  We want it all NOW then we overeat trying to fill that empty spot as quickly as we can. I don’t know about you but often times that leaves me feeling yucky inside (yes that is the technical term for the feelings that come from pigging out til you want to puke!)  I vow to never do THAT again & remind myself that in the future I should be content with a smaller meal.
  Hmmm it made me wonder... Do I often times do this in life? Do I try to grab the gusto to such an extent that I am defeating the purpose? Take for example studying God’s word. While Bible study is crucial and critical, if I devour it, gobble it to such a degree that my emotions are running amuck and out of control as the scripture says, will it make for a healthy mind and body?
  Or would it be more beneficial to eat smaller portions quietly, savor the flavor & let it digest soas not to have that yucky feeling of overwhelmedness (is that a word?) 
  I was recently reminded of the scripture in 1 Cor 14:33...I must say that it was only the first part of this scripture that I was recalling so when I looked it up to read the whole thing, I was struck by the rest of it...For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace!  Wow! 
 The Messages’ version states it this way, “When we worship the right way, God doesn’t stir us up into confusion; he brings us into harmony!”
  Do you think God is trying to tell us to just 'be still’?  “Be still, and know that I am God” Ps. 46:10....Be still and let Me handle it, seems implied, don’t you think?. You don’t have to toil; you don’t have to try so hard; you don’t have to struggle so much; be patient, just let ME handle it for you.
   I think I need to 'chew’ on this a little more. How’s about you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment