Sunday, January 15, 2012

You just can't ignore JOY!

After the sadness of last week I just wanted to try and rest to rejuvenate myself. Not only body but spirit.
(For those that may not be aware of our last week my daughter Hallie summed things up here.) Course this has been made even more challenging upon finding out last night that another close family friend's wife also suddenly passed away last night, so this coming week will be similar to last week. But that's a whole other story.....

So let me give you a little background...I read a book about ladies that gathered together for coffee each week. They decided at the beginning of the year that each one would choose a word that somehow meant something to them. Throughout the year they'd be more mindful of that word using it to meditate, seek scriptures on or to see how a deeper understanding would be impressed upon them through their own experiences, insights, their own personal healing or whatever. Then they'd share it with the group.

I thought this sounded like a lovely idea however I really wasn't sure how the whole thing would play out. I wasn't sure of the guidelines or rules.. Because of this although it was on my mind I didn't bring it up to the weekly ladies LifeGroup I belong too...As a matter of fact I couldn't even think of a word that I felt connected to...

Just two days ago I went to my Aunt Joy's funeral. I can't even begin to put into words the mix of emotions that brought to me....surprising me at times. I just haven't known what to 'do with it all'. Yesterday while going through a relatively 'normal' day everything I did had a recurring word.... Joy....my daily scripture, reading a newspaper article, researching a brand of shoes (I know, weird, right?)...The first time I saw the word joy I dismissed it as coincidence...by the fourth time that morning though it occured to me, isn't that a bit odd that this entire morning, I keep seeing the word 'joy'?

Then Stephen brings in the mail with a package for me. I gasped as I saw it in all caps as if it was yelling at me to pay attention! JOY!




I told my friend at church about this and asked what she thought of our group picking a word to be mindful of for the year...She couldn't have agreed with me more.....and then she had to show me something in her purse. She said she didn't know why she'd kept this from weeks ago off of her ice cream cone of all places, but for some reason she did.....as she pulled it out of her wallet it kind of gave me shivers.....Simply written in capital letters with a little heart printed in the 'o' was JOY! Was this just to be a confirmation for me? or was it something that her & I were to work on together?....But wait....there's more.

When I called my other friend to share this all with, at the end I told her that there was also something in today's sermon that led me to think this whole word thing would be a great way to stretch ourselves. When I was done talking she says "ya know, I can't remember what it was exactly either but as I read one of the scriptures during the sermon the side notes in my Bible referred to....what word do you think?....yep, JOY!"

If you're a regular reader of my blog you know I've been on a journey of fine tuning my spiritual walk for more than a year now. What I am learning is about patiently waiting, listening & trusting in all things. John 10:10 say, "He offers an abundent life". All we have to do is reach out and accept it.

So for me especially for this next year, I am going to make a conscious effort to be mindful of the joys around me. And also how I can share my joy with others. I know there is something more for me to learn.

So my challenge to you is, is there something you've been ignoring? Something you've dismissed or need to work on? Find YOUR word...and let me know how that shows itself to you....and as you do I hope you also find the joy in the journey!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link to this blog post with me. I mailed the book to you. Our last name is Joy. I am so pleased to hear that God used our name as a confirmation for you.

    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a chance, not knowing you, but I felt compelled to share it with you. I too was pleasantly surprised to read your 'user profile introduction'....how very wonderful.

    ReplyDelete