Friday, April 8, 2011

When it matters most...



I have always wondered how I would react if faced with something really terrible. I don't mean unexpected guests that show up at dinnertime or not being able to afford the newest electronic gadget on the market. I mean something very serious like a life threatening health scare. I'm thinking first off, there'd be that initial panic, not being able to wrap your brain around it all. Perhaps walking in a daze for a few days wondering how you're going to cope. That's how I am anyway. I have found that a 'falling apart' period, if you will, which includes tears, shaking, nausea, you can name your 'breakdown' of choice here, is my method of coping in the initial stage. I tend to get bogged down in the 'what ifs' instead of the facts. Then I take a big breath and remember where my source of strength comes from. My God. That's not an exclamation here but rather a synonym for my strength...MY God & my faith. These hard to deal with moments also put into perspective what is truly important in life. It's not about wearing designer clothes, having a new car or having lots of money in the bank. When it comes down to it that is just stuff that might make life alittle easier but certainly shouldn't be where you find your peace, contentment, joy, happiness....well the list goes on.



These are the times to lighten your load. Simplifying can be very good. Get rid of the things that aren't important. Clean your mental 'house'. Col. 2:8 in the Bible says, "see to it that no one takes you captive through hollow & deceptive philosophy, which depends on human traditions & the basic principles of the world rather than on Christ. (italics is mine, I might add) The scriptures there goes on to say don't let anyone judge you for religious festivals, a new Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. We can't be burdened by mere human rules..Who has the time? "Do not handle, don't eat this, don't touch that" And isn't just being human enough of a burden at times? I get weary just thinking of all the demands we have on us.



There are things that in and of themselves may be good, but if the right motivation is not there, then it's not good. Col. 2:22, 23 We need to do things not because we have to be but because it's in our hearts. (you will have to use discernment here because as responsable adults there are some things we have to do when we don't want to like say, going to work!) Not imposed upon us by someone elses rules. Do not let someone disqualify you based upon their own personal rules...more importantly, what is God's opinion? (for instance, did you know that nowhere in the Bible does it say that a man has to wear a suit & a woman a dress to church? Man-made rule/personal choice...and what a burden that can be if you don't have those things! Do you think God is going to turn you away? ummmm NO! )





I, for one, don't want to be so concerned with the 'stuff' of this world, be it physical, emotional or spiritual, so much that I am not able to truly enjoy the simple gifts that God has given me. You can get so caught up in the rules that you miss the whole point.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. The simplify-ing we have done has just felt wonderful altho' we have more to do. Where did you get those tokens? They are terrific. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made them! and thank you!! I plan on making more to give out as little tokens (pun intended Ü) and to perhaps sell at a craft show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was suppose to say tokens of inspiration & encouragment! I hate when I do that!

    ReplyDelete