Monday, January 17, 2011

Mice are our friends, not lunch!

I've had people ask me how all the critters are getting along since Gretel has now been here a month. She has totally made herself one of the family that's for sure. For the first week, I thought perhaps I finally had THE perfect cat. Come to find out that was her scheme all along. Make us absolutely fall in love with her so that when she showed us her 'finer' qualities we would be less likely to kill her or send her back to the shelter! (not that either of those would really be an option but you get the idea) I have jokingly told her that if she didn't shape up she would make a fine set of guitar strings.

Her and the big white dog have become great friends. Of course there was the 'break in' period where Gretel's tail was constantly puffed up whenever Zoey was anywhere near. And Zoey also came to the painful realization that the cute little fur-ball had very sharp claws that did not feel good when connected to her nose. She however only ended up with three superficial scratches so I thought that was pretty good. Zoey is very gentle with her bringing her toys and trying to engage G in play. Just last night I witnessed something I'd never see...Gretel was chasing Zoey around the living room! It made me laugh out loud!

The bigger challenge has been trying to get through to Gretel that the mice are suppose to be here. Thank goodness she is only a 5 lb. cat since I am constantly finding her on top of their cage! What's really funny is that there are a couple of them that seem to deliberately taunt her! I don't know if it's coincidence but today she figured out that I don't squirt her with water if she merely sits there and watches them. Hmmm maybe we're making progress. Course then again we may be starting all over with a new day too. lol

I do know that in between those times I have to yell at her to quit playing with the blind strings or getting off the coffee table, she is the source of absolute delight. I would have to highly recommend a kitten to just about anyone. Don't get me wrong...I adore dogs. And our Zoey is very special to us...but there is something to be said about the love from a cat as well.

I honestly can't imagine my life without one or the other. Ü

No comments:

Post a Comment