Saturday, October 23, 2010

You're my cuppa coffee!


My coffee tastes so much better in my yellow happy face mug that says 'stupid is as stupid does' mug. My husband bought it for me on his most recent trip to NYC where he got to eat in a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. restaurant.

I love the movie Forrest Gump. We have watched it so many times, have quoted it, imitated it & even watched it in German while we were living in Germany! We'd seen it so many times that even though we are far from fluent in German we knew what was going on!

It's rather funny that he would add to my mug collection because on so many occassions through the years he's questioned, "How many mugs does one person need?" but he realizes the pleasure they give me.

When I made the comment to some friends I was pleasantly surprised by their responses. One said he & his wife bought big, beach-scene coffee mugs at Sunset Beach this summer. "As we drink coffee, we can smell salt water and hear ocean waves...it's magical!"

Another shared, "Isn't it great how your choice of coffee mug can make a difference. Mine is lime green with yellow polka dots and a black bow on the handle."

What lovely sentiments! And to think that such expression is found from something relatively cheap!

Depending on my mood is how I choose that morning which cup to partake from! It's as if it's an expression/extension of myself. LOL I know that's a little too dramatic and deep, but it's true!

I've thinned mine out with each household move to include only our souvenir mugs & ones from friends, so each one has a 'story' just like everything else in our house!

My friend said, "You've just described a well-lived life, Kathy: a collection of souvenirs from friends, beautiful places and happy moments." I do believe he gets the Quote of the Day award! LOL

I've always thought of souvenirs as memories you can touch. Just like my friend said it gives you pleasure because it brings to mind a special person or transports you to a happy moment. The best part is it doesn't matter what these things are. Doesn't even have to be from a collection or cost alot of money. Could be a cowbell that a friend gives you as a gag gift, a piece of driftwood from a beach in Alaska or a box made from toothpicks by a small child.

My challenge for you is to find your own 'smiley mug'. Let the things you love be your escape. What gives you a warm fuzzy? I'd love to hear.



No comments:

Post a Comment