Thursday, August 5, 2010

I wonder, I wonder...

With each day that passes you never know what you'll see with these little ones. One day they don't have fur and the next day they do.

Here they are at 6 days. All soft and peach fuzzy.

It's been fascinating watching this little mouse community. If people could just take a lesson from them. It didn't take long for me to notice that at any given time either Mama Skunk or one of the 'aunts' as I've come to call them (partly inspired by a friend's own 4 aunts that lived together but also just based on my own observations of them) were with the babies in the nesting box. They took turns babysitting. And I noticed that Skunk was given a break from them to come out and eat for herself, take a jog on the wheel and get some much needed sleep in the zebra hammock.

I wait each evening til Mama Skunk and the 'Aunts' are out of the box before looking in on them. The adults are oblivious to me really. They are more concerned with having a good time. No kidding, observing them, they really don't seem all that different than people. They need to get away from the kids and cut loose too!

There've been times I've looked into the box and Moo was 'nursing' the babies! I don't know if she'd spontaneously produce milk for them or if it was just to comfort them while Skunk was out. I've not been able to find the answers to that in my research, but I thought it very sweet all the same. Moo was the midwife during delivery & that first whole day, don't ya know.

I did notice too that I never saw Halo go in to the box to see the babies or to babysit. I wonder if the others felt the same as I projected, she was just a little too crazy and irresponsible for such a job? Maybe she was nervous? Can you just hear a little mouse saying in the southern accent of Butterfly McQueen in Gone with the Wind, "I don't know nothin' bout birthin' no babies!" After about a week though I finally saw her going in...I think she may have had some scrambled egg in her mouth for a baby gift..(just kidding) I'll be curious to see how she reacts when the babies start crawling out on their own.

I've totally depressed myself too. I've tried 'checking' over the little ones trying to figure out what they are. This is no easy task when they are this little and add to that, you don't know what you're doing. LOL No it's NOT obvious and all their little parts are miniscule!

They are very hard to hold and most of them aren't very cooperative. They don't like being turned over on their backs...then for me to try and scrutinize their little bottoms...forget it! Keep in mind too I wear bifocals which don't help me at all. Talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack?! I actually have to take the glasses off and look real close...good grief! I feel pathetic! With them wiggling around so much, I'm afraid I hurt them...I end up breaking out in a sweat until finally I give up.

At this point, I don't see any signs of nipples on them (my only true sourse of sexing them & a sure sign of them being girls cause the boys won't have them at all) and am fearful. The reason being, boys tend to be territorial and will fight with each other. There's a good chance they'd have to have a cage all their own...while the girl babies can live with their mama and aunts with no problem. If all 6 are boys, I wonder if the dear husband would mind building onto the house so we have enough room for 7 mouse cages? What do ya think? LOL!


Here they are at day 8 all furry.

No comments:

Post a Comment