Saturday, June 26, 2010

Diary of a Butterfly~Day 8





Moving day! Upon making a call to the insect lore people I found out that as soon as they 'no longer look like caterpillars', I could've moved them to their new home in the observation habitat.. That would've been back on day 6, but I wanted to be sure so I waited.
I was a little nervous at taking the lid off the container since these guys were attached to the cardboard disk on the underside of it. But they weren't nearly as delicate as I feared they'd be and stayed attached as they should. Even though they hadn't seemed to be actually 'doing' anything in the past couple days, apparantly they were. I noticed that the little tuff of caterpillar that you can see in the first pic at the top end (second from left & also fourth from left at the top) had dried up & would fall off by the end of the day.

Then I attached the disk with a straight pin to the inside of the house a couple inches from the floor (in case one of them should fall down later). I also made sure they were in a place that wouldn't be disturbed or bumped...plus I wanted to be sure they were out of harsh sunlight and out of the breeze from air conditioning vents. You have to think of it this way: if they're in a spot that would make you feel too hot or too cold, they're probably feeling too hot or cold.

I was also hoping that I'd be able to open the zippered door with little disturbance to them so I could see them better in the days to come.

To be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment