Monday, June 21, 2010

Diary of a Butterfly~Day 1

Our daughter brought me a wonderful gift when she was here. It looked more like a pop-up tent for a Barbie doll but it was a butterfly habitat! Of all the critters we've had over the years (tadpoles, stickbugs, snails etc) we've never had butterflies. I know for some, which includes my mother, the response to my excitement, is 'why?' I have always enjoyed nature & also the miracle of birth, be it human, animal or bug. I find it all very fascinating. Not to mention, even at my ripe old age now, I strive to see the world through the eyes of a child. Innocent and full of wonder.
So I sent off my coupon & $6 and a couple weeks later we get this. (I say 'we' because I like to include my dear husband in on my fun...plus he knows not to ask me 'why'. Secretly I truly believe he enjoyes all the stuff too, although he'd probably not admit it while in the company of other guys! LOL) I wonder what the mailman was thinking when he placed this little package in our mailbox? LOL Course maybe he didn't even pay attention since it strictly said to keep 'this end up' but of course it was upside down!
I nervously opened my prize to find what looked to be 5 dead caterpillar larve. There was a guarantee that at least 3 of the 5 would be alive but I greatly questioned that. But within a matter of minutes if you looked really close there were at least 3 that were twitching ever so slightly. Within an hour or two I saw movement in all 5
! WooHoo! I thought, we are in business! It certainly didn't look like much though. The directions said the brown nutrient stuff on the bottom of the cup was enough food for all of the caterpillars to develop into adult Painted Lady Butterflies...hmmm, didn't look so tempting to me...but we shall see....to be continued.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! That's one thing we never did with the girls - altho' I've seen the kits. We did ant farms and those were fun. lol.
    Look forward to updates!

    ReplyDelete