Friday, April 10, 2009

The rocking chair is done!!!


There's an old show tune that says, "when everything old is new again"....
....well it's not exactly new but it has been recycled & refurbished. I found this old rocking chair in my parent's attic. It certainly had seen better days and was literally held together by twine and someone's old belt!!





As far as we know it was my paternal great-grandmother's. I never knew her but from those old black & white photos, (you know the ones where they didn't smile?) she didn't look like she'd have been the life of party, if you know what I mean. That's not to say that she didn't have a sense of humor, but when those pics are all a little girl has to go on, you can see why I'd think she didn't. That's why it was so fun to see a hint of an eclectic humor while doing this chair. As I looked under the seat you could see what the original colors were...bubblegum pink and lime green!!









I was inspired!! I had no idea exactly what I was going to do but I wanted it to be Oma's Rainbow Chair...(as you can probably tell I had my two granddaughters in mind when I was working on it)


So here it is, more than a week's worth of work with 6 hours going to weaving the seat alone. My fingertips are purple, sore and swollen. (the weaving is tight!) But it turned out even better than I imagined it would. I can't wait for the girls to see it.













There's lots of other little details and I have those pictures posted on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=597099535&ref=profile OR here if you're not on facebook http://community.webshots.com/user/eskimoose

4 comments:

  1. It looks FAB! Like an I-Spy rocker; so many little things to find and look at. :) Love it! Going to check out the fb pics now... I'm sure your Oma would be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great!! I can't wait to see it in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Joyful chaos! You're my first person I don't know to comment on my blog! I'm so happy that someone else looked! Ü I enjoyed reading your blog as well! When we lived in Missouri, we were surrounded by Amish neighbors and loved it. We have an appreciation for the simpler things in life and strive to be as self sufficient as possible. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete