Thursday, February 5, 2009

This old house...

Dad, Stephen and I went down to the old house today to pick up the last piece of furniture. Tomorrow will be the closing. I didn't sleep well last night and I know that it was the trepidation I was experiencing and trying to ignore. I wasn't sure how I'd feel or react being in there one last time. Thank goodness I took my camera as there were still a couple little things that I'd forgotten to take pics of before, like the detail work on the old banister.
I got to thinking about the old place that I'd called 'home' for 43 years. Sure I didn't live there all that time but it certainly was a comfort all the years away, knowing that I could come back to this familiar, safe place. Today I got to thinking of all the stories the house had to tell as though it was a living breathing thing. Ya it was rather hard knowing that would be the last time to be in the house. I mean I started kindergarten from that house, had my friends stay over there, dad had his art classes there, I lived with my first husband there for a month, Hallie spent the first 7 years of her life there, I looked in the mirror at the base of the stairs just before leaving to marry Stephen etc....I get teary thinking of it now. I said goodbye to it (yes out loud) as though it were a living being. I told it how good a home it had been to us but that it was time to move on and that soon it would have 4 kids running up it's stairs again...Stephen and my dad didn't even laugh at me....and I wouldn't have cared if they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment